Monday, August 2, 2010

Because...

...I KNOW ya'll don't care a bit about all of the thoughts running through my head at the moment. There is so much I want to say and no space to say it. I almost don't have the words. But God is so good to me. I am learning and for every two steps back I take spiritually, the Heavenly Father graciously leads me forward. I am learning, oh so slowly. SO, I leave you with a few thoughts from one of my favorite books.

Taken from the devotional Interruptions, Delays, Inconveniences:

Emily, wife of America's first foreign missionary, Adonairam Judson, wrote home from Moulmein, Burma, in January 1847:  "This taking care of teething babies, and teaching natives to darn stockings and talking English back end foremost...in order to get an eatable dinner, is really a very odd sort of business...But I begin to get reconciled to my minute cares."  She was ambitious for "higher and better things," but was enabled to learn that "the person who would do great things well must practice daily on little ones; and she who would have the assistance of the Almighty in important acts, must be daily and hourly accustomed to consult His will in the minor affairs of life."

The author goes on...

One more quotation-this from an out-of-print book, The Life and Letters of Janet Erskine Stuart.  Says one who was her assistant for some years, "She delighted in seeing her plan upset by unexpected events, saying that it gave her great comfort, and that she looked on such things as an assurance that God was watching over her stewardship, was securing the accomplishment of His will, and working out His own designs.  Whether she traced the secondary causes to the prayer of a child, to the imperfection of an individual, to obstacles arising from misunderstandings, or to interference of outside agencies, she was joyfully and graciously ready to recognize the indication of God's ruling hand, and to allow herself to be guided by it."

What a lesson for a person like me who does NOT like my plans to be upset.

Speaking of plans...
...tomorrow [Lord willing], I will be [sing-song-y voice] driving up to Michigan.  Road trip!  My last hurrah before nannying starts NEXT WEEK. Boo-yah!

Have a lovely week...

3 comments:

Mrs. Murdock said...

That is soooo nice you are coming to MI to see me:)

Loved this post...you have a wide open heart.

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

I am safely tucked away in Davison...but I thought of you as I was cruising through Kalamazoo. :)

Christina Alvarado said...

Isn't it amazing to know that the Lord is in control of each situation! I don't know what I would do without Him.

By the way I might be looking up this devotional for myself:)