Thursday, January 20, 2011

::pay attention to the punctuation::

Sunday, our pastor preached a two-part sermon on serving the Lord.  I missed the Sunday morning sermon because I help out in a Pre-school Junior Church but the evening sermon was a blessing.  I love serving the Lord in my local church!

Tonight, we had a guest preacher who preached an excellent sermon on the local church.  Excellent.

I was reminded of a portion of Scripture I read last week in Ephesians.

Do you pay attention to the punctuation when you read a passage of Scripture?  You really should!  One of the pastors in our church has mentioned this a few times in different sermons over the years.  It's really easy to look at one verse that stands out but sometimes when you read it in context [paying attention to the punctuation], you can see the verse in the bigger picture.

Well, I was paying attention to the punctuation last week while reading in Ephesians 4.

[verse 11] And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
[verse 12]  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

[verse 13] Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
[verse 14] That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
[verse 15] But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
 [verse 16] From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

This is such a wonderful passage about the role that our pastors play in our lives. They are there for a purpose to help us grow towards being a "perfect man."  Just wanted to share this little thought with you.  I really love my church.  I love the messages that are preached from the pulpit to edify, rebuke, and strengthen me.  I am by no means a "perfect church member" but I do love the place where the Lord has me right now!

Signing off...

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Good thought. I guess I hadn't really put all of that together in one sentence before. Definitely increases the meaning of it. Thank you!