Wednesday, June 30, 2010

::REpost::13March 09::

my committee is in Heaven

On September 11, 2007, a lady in our church was diagnosed with cancer.  She was the 4th grade girls' Sunday school teacher and the "dorm mom" for our college.  Somehow, out of all the eligible ladies in our church, she asked if I could substitute for her while she was receiving treatments.  I preferred to say I was "helping out in Mrs. L.'s Sunday school class."  How in the world could I ever fill her shoes as Sunday school teacher?  Impossible.

Last year at this time, she had finished her treatments, had just returned from visiting her daughter in Mexico, and was feeling a bunch better.  And she took over.  Gladly!!!!  I was so thrilled.  And now I get to learn underneath her.  And I ate it up.  Every single word.  I sat on the edge of my seat to listen to her stories.  I was so excited to learn from her.  She pointed out once to me in front of the class that Ruth received more from Boaz at his feet rather than working in his fields.  Lesson:  be at Jesus' feet longer than working in His fields.

Well, she had this joke with another worker in the class about always being late because she was chasing the boys.  The girls always got a kick out of it.  This worker was transferred to the teen class in September.  So guess who as now prime candidate for the "chasing the guys' joke"?  You guessed it.  Me.  I laughed right along with everyone.  Mrs. L. always made sure I wasn't offended.  How could I be?  She was teasing me because she cared.  And besides, I was so glad she was there to teach.  She always said, "Now Miss Rebecca, when you find that boyfriend, you have to bring him before the committee.  The 4th grade girls' Sunday school class.  Right girls?"  And they would all smile and nod with firm agreement.  "The committee.  She has to bring him before the committee."

In July, the doctor gave her a year.  In the back of my mind, I though that was the minimum.  The she started going downhill and we prayed for a miracle and God's peace and comfort.

In January/February-ish was our Father/Son banquet.  A sweet lady in the church invited a whole bunch of us moms and daughters over to her house for fellowship.  After we all got done eating, we were sitting around telling stories.  A few of the younger ladies were giving their engagement stories.  Of course, I don't even have a boyfriend story - haha!  :)  By this time, Mrs. L. had her southern accent back a bit.  She said to me in her sweet way, "Rebecca, you're going to have an engagement story before too long.  But don't forget, he has to come before the committee."  I got teary because I knew my committee wasn't going to be around much longer.

What blessed hope and comfort knowing that she is safe in the arms of Jesus tonight.

Hebrews 12:1, "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses..."

Post-edit:  This one was hard to re-type.  Tears.  I miss her so much.  Andrea and Sharon, she is not forgotten!

4 comments:

My life by me! said...

Wow. I can't believe it has been more than a year already.

I have tears in my eyes. I miss her too. I know we should of course think of God first when we make our decisions but I honestly ask myself sometimes, "What would Mrs. L think of me doing such and such?"

Thanks for the reminder of such a wonderful person!

Sharon said...

Beautiful story, Rebecca! Thank you!

Jessica said...

My mom really misses her, too. She enjoyed visiting with you while you were filling Mrs. L's shoes and misses that as well. Take care and see you back home soon. --JSF

anspeckhals said...

Thank you, Becca.