Sunday, November 28, 2010

::I need one of those arm-band thingies::

Tonight, while running on the treadmill.

Wait.  Get back here.  Yes, you are reading Rebecca' blog.

Ok.

Tonight, while running on the treadmill, my ipod fell of it's perch and got pulled underneath the track.  I thought all was doomed but I was able to recover it without anyone's help.

So I am on night #2 [in a row] of running.

One of my things to do before I turn 30 is to run a half-marathon and there is no time like the present to become accustomed to running.

I have this strange abhorrence [yet infatuation] with running.  I grew up running, practicing all summer for our school's annual Cross Country.  When I crossed the great divide into 7th grade, I was assigned to one of the intramural girls' teams at my school.  It was the Panthers.  A few of my fellow Panthers read here [hello Andrea, Sharon, and Hannah....and maybe my coach, too???]

So I don't know what their remembrance of me and running is but I will tell you what my remembrance is.  I disliked it.  Christians aren't supposed to hate so I can't say that I hate running.  But I disliked it.  Greatly.  I love being active.  I love playing volleyball.  But I just disliked running.

Well, my sophomore year of college, I had decided that the PE workouts took too long if I wanted to walk for my workouts so I decided to run.  I actually experienced what people call the "runners high."  I truthfully did.  But that didn't last much longer than my sophomore year and I can't even guarantee that I ran my entire sophomore year.

However.  Running a half marathon sounds like a great challenge for me.  I would love to run on a regular basis but have never gotten up the effort to do it on my own.  Hopefully, typing this out will give me the motivation to continue to run knowing that all of you are reading this. 

I think it would be best to run a 5k and then a 10k [one or both, it doesn't matter] before attempting the half-marathon.  I don't even have any races picked out yet.  I'm just running for the present time.

Running.  I'm still trying to convince myself that I'm actually doing this!

5 comments:

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

aw that's terrible but good thing you were able to recover the ipod!

speaking of running, i NEED to do that today - esp after all that good thanksgiving eating!!

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

That's one of the reasons why I started running, Ilene. I need to run off all those yummy things that I eat! :)

Michelle (michabella) said...

Ooooo! Good luck running!!! I would love to do a half-marathon before I am 30 too! Bummer you dont live closer!

A good motivator is to actually sign yourself up for a 5k...then you pretty much HAVE to do it!

Have you heard of the Couch to 5k program?? That's how I started... And now...oddly enough...I LOVE RUNNING. (trust me...never thought these words would come out of my mouth...it IS a love-hate relationship)

<333

Sharon said...

That's awesome, Rebecca! You know I'm a big fan of running...although not so great lately @ actually running.

Btw, you can look up races at www.runningintheusa.com by date, location, etc. If you find one that you are excited about, especially one that is for a good cause, (I like to run the Down Syndrome races.) that will help you stay motivated. The best motivation is to put your money down and have a definite race day.

Good luck! A 1/2 marathon is an admirable goal!

Andrea Speckhals said...

Wish you all the best! I ran a 5k in October, and kind of thought I could just ease right into "shape"...after all, I have run 'all' my life. Haha. Took lots of work, and was harder than I thought, but it is true, if you sign up, and begin a workout schedule, you kind of have to follow through. I got third in my age group, and won a medal! (Little town of Red Lion) And I think I was 22nd of maybe 100 ladies over all! It was very good and challenging.