Friday, April 17, 2009

if only it were mayberry....

Sometimes we joke here at our house that our little town is like Mayberry. What cracks me up the most is this one couple that I work for. They are true "Ch-----tonians". They totally know just about everyone in town and any news that accompanies each person in town. Anyways. For the most part, Ch-----ton is a great place to live.

However, there has been a spike in vandalism and drug abuse, as well. There was an article in the paper about a month ago regarding the drug problem. It's serious. Part of the reason is because it is an upper-middle class type town, so the parents aren't around to supervise the kids. PLUS the real reason is that these kids and their parents need the Lord.

About 45 minutes before work this morning, my brother called and told my Mom that the entire pavilion (except for the chimney) at the back side of our church property had been burnt to the ground. Between our house and the pavilion is a horse pasture. ok. so that's close! Plus, we park our big white van down in the college parking lot and two windows were busted out of it. What in the world is going on?

Wait. I have to explain what the pavilion is. A few years back, the men in our church built a really nice covered shelter with a fire place, seating area for picnic tables, a kitchen, plus a bathroom. It was used for activities with bus routes and the college, etc...It's not around any other buildings on the church property. It's nestled a little in the woods.

I definitely don't know very many details. And there is crime scene tape around the area that's burned. The Ch-----ton cops said that it might have been electrical. Right. And on that same night, windows were busted out in a van about 100 feet away. Right.

It just makes me sad because of the condition of our country. It truly is being evidenced in our little town. That voted for Obama. Yah. You read that right. I'll never forget on election night seeing a map of IN on ABC and up in the left corner were two little counties colored blue and ours was one of them. Ick!

My brother told me as I was driving down our street after work today that when my Mom called a glass company, they told her there has been a lot of vandalism in our town. I just think that's so sad. So our town really isn't Mayberry. Bummer!

No comments: