Monday, April 27, 2009

Okay..........so dinner.

My parents are out of town for a few days and I get to cook! Woohoo!! I love to cook. I don't cook big, huge, fancy dinners. Just fun, nutrious, yummy things. Mostly Southern foods. Southern cookbooks are my absolute favorite to cook from. Their soups are light and there aren't very many stews in the cookbooks. :) The vegetable recipes are yum and they have awesome desserts!

I decided to make oven-fried chicken tonight (fattening) and mashed potatoes and gravy (fattening) because my parents weren't here. The recipe I was using called for chicken strips but I decided on drumsticks. I got a bag for $4.99 at Jewel this afternoon. Score one for a deal!!!

The recipe said 30 minutes total for the chicken to be in the oven. I have had problems in the past with uncooked chicken. But that's a totally different story. With about 10 minutes remaining, I poked the meat thermometer in one of the drumsticks and it oozed a little pink. Not good!

The main reason why I had to hurry with dinner tonight was because I had to tutor from 4-5pm then another kid was coming at 6:30. That left an hour and a half window. Which really should have been plenty of time. But I forgot that Geoff had to leave at 6pm. This presented a slight problem.

I called my Mom and she thought that the chicken should be in there for at least 45 minutes. Oh great!!!! That's at 6pm. Well, I checked it at 6pm and it smelled so yummy and delicious. It looked yum. It was sizzlin' in the pan. But somehow from oven to table something went wrong. I really think it could have stood another 10 minutes in the oven. It was a little tough (!!!!). The temperature inside the drumsticks was 175 degrees. But I don't know........I'm not for sure if it was done!

I'm such a hypochondriac and feel like I'm getting sick! My poor brothers. They are so unlucky. All of my mistakes from cooking have happened to them. (Don't forget we lived by ourselves one whole summer. Many unfortunate cooking experiences occurred during that time period.)

Has anyone ever cooked and eaten (possibly) (slightly) undercooked meat?

1 comment:

Dear Abbi said...

If the thermometer read 175, it was probably fine. But it just wasn't "falling off the bone" done. I've done that before when we were in a hurry. My hunch is that you will survive. You probably would already be noticing some "ramifications" from eating it by now, if it was truly undercooked. :) I like your ambition in cooking!!