Monday, April 13, 2009

this is the sinful, cynical side of me that doesn't show up very often

Do you know what really irritates me? It's when people who are younger than you think they have the knowledge corner marketed for the little routine called "dating" or "courtship" or whatever lingo you use. It stinkin' irritates me.

JUST BECAUSE I'm not dating DOESN'T MEAN that I'm naive to how guys and girls act towards each other and how relationships SHOULD be.

JUST BECAUSE I've never dated a guy longer than 3 months doesn't mean that I don't know how a relationship should be. NO I may not have the experience but I do have a little head knowledge, Bible knowledge, and common sense knowledge.

Is it "normal" for guys and girls to continually fight and disagree and argue in a relationship? Is it just me or is that abnormal? I think it should be abnormal. I know that couples are going to have their disagreements, especially as they move closer to engagement and marriage. That's only natural. But continual fighting. OH! But I just "don't understand" because I've never dated longer than 3 months.

I went to a missions conference a few summers back. There were four single girls (including me), one single guy, and two married couples. On the way home, we had a wonderful time of testifying. Each couple gave the story on how they met all the way to the sweet, happy marriage part. Each story was uniquely different. The leader of the group pointed out that the common thread between the two relationships was that God had worked the relationship out. Totally. Completely. It was amazing. I guess I have to share tidbits of each story so you know what I'm talking about.

Couple #1 - I hope no one is sensitive when I say this because I don't know how else to say it except that this couple is "black". (That just sounds weird; but you have to know that part for the story.) So of course there aren't tons of options in that department at our college. The guy dated every other girl that he could at our college; he was even engaged to a girl. But his sweet wife (now) continued to pray for/about him, that if it was God's will, that He would lead them together. And He did! Through amazing circumstances. But GOD did it!

Couple #2 - Met and fell in love in college. But then the guy had a disagreement with his girlfriend's dad. The dad broke off the relationship for a while (I think if I remember correctly it was over 2 years). Even though this couple knew that they were meant for each other, they honored her dad's wishes. After much prayer and time, the dad finally consented and they were married. But GOD did it!

I am just of the opinion that girls (in particular) try to push relationships too much instead of letting God lead and letting God be in control of their life and subsequently, their relationship.

So there's my little opinion about the dating corner of the world. Not that I have any experience but common sense and the Bible definitely count for something!!

6 comments:

Anne said...

Those stories were so sweet, Rebecca:). Thanks for sharing!

God is definitely in control and the wait will be worth it all!

My life by me! said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! As a single gal I love looking at the couples that don't fight all the time, we all know it does happens, and hearing about those people that waited.

I was just with some people that found the negative in everything they did for each other!!! They couldn't look at the good. I walked away thinking I never wanted to get married! How horrible is that!!!

So thank for the reassurance that normal loving couples exisit! And the one couple, I would tease him all the time about it and when they started dating I just had to chuckle!!!

Thanks again!

Lacey said...

Cute! :-)

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

YOU'RE WELCOME, Jen!!! :)

tiff said...

ahhh! lol! i love your style of writing! stinkin funny!

know what you mean!

heart you dear! ~t

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! You hit the nail on the head!! Perfect!