Thursday, April 22, 2010

earth day

Guess what I did today?  I sure felt like a earth-huggin'-lovin' person.

I walked down to the paper recycle bin and carried the paper in my all-purpose {ahem-re-usable} bag.

Did I look like I was celebrating earth day?

But what if I told you that I ate chips and chocolate cake for lunch, hence the reason to get a few extra steps into my day.

And what if I told you that the church gets free $$ for recycling paper and it's a small way for me to contribute to the church.

And what if I told you that the re-usable bag is great for carrying paper because it's a sturdy plastic.

It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?

The day after earth hour was celebrated was a Sunday and our Sunday school teacher gave an interesting "rant" on the whole "earth" movement.  I think we did have our lights off during earth hour but simply out of ignorance.  :)

So why do I recycle?  I think it's good to recycle because it's not being wasteful.  Back in the early to mid 20th century, people took pride in reusing things.  Milk was delivered in reusable bottles.  Anyone who went through the Great Depression spent a lifetime reusing everything.  They used every scrap of paper until it was filled.  Drank coffee {even stale} until it was gone.  I'm sure some reused foil, plastic wrap, and wax paper. 

So what's wrong to fill a red bucket with plastic containers and cardboard boxes to get reused? 

It's all a matter of perspective.  If my motive is to protect the earth, than I'm wrong.  But I'm not going to stop recycling just because all the people worshipping the earth recycle, too.

It's all a matter of perspective.

So do you recycle?

4 comments:

Mrs. Murdock said...

I do recycle. I have all the same reasons...

Rachel said...

I think you are right - there seem to be two great extremes. I'm not an earth-huggin' hippy, yet I think that a lot of Christians tend to assume the total opposite side of not recycling, not caring, etc. I think it takes a good balance. While we don't have to worry about the world not being able to sustain us, or global warming taking over, we should be responsible with what God has given us.

Ellen Grant said...

I have thought a lot about reasons for recycling, too! As Christians, we can show an unbelieving world that we care about our world and that we can be good stewards of what we have been given! It's an interesting conversation.

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

Life is so much about balance, isn't it? I'm finding that out more and more!