Friday, April 2, 2010

{This is for Mrs. M.!} :)

{I will get a paper copy to you, too!}

Mrs. M wrote on her blog about the pruning she did in her garden this week which led me to think about one of my favorite books. It is called Keep a Quiet Heart by Elisabeth Elliot. Outside of the Bible, it is hands-down one of the most influential books in my life. Period. I love it!

Here are some thoughts from two of the articles in this book with the idea of pruning in our lives.

We need to be pruned. If we are bearing fruit, then we must be pruned. This is a painful process. Jesus knew that His disciples would face much suffering. He showed them, in this beautiful metaphor, that it was not for nothing. Only the well-pruned vine bears the best fruit. They could take comfort in knowing that the pruning proved they were neither barren nor withered, for in that case they would simply be burned up in the brushpile.

Pruning requires the cutting away not only of what is superfluous but also of what appears to be good stock.

Measure thy life by loss instead of gain;
Not by the wine drunk but by the wine poured forth;
For love's strength standeth in love's sacrifice,
And whoso suffers most hath most to give.

[ I sense in our society today that we do not want hardships.  I mean, I don't want hardships either.  But what saints of God have recognized is that when we endure trials, it is for our benefit.  In our easy-peasy way of life, we want a microwaved, fast-food, instant coffee-type of life.  And that is not always how God works.  Maybe yes He will answer a prayer quickly but not always.  We must endure.  The sufferings of this life cause us to long for Heaven.  About a month ago, I was very burdened about eternity.  What is this life compared to eternity.  Really?  Really?  And we get bogged down because things don't go our way.  How petty we are! So what if I still live at home. So what if I'm not married {yet}. So what if I don't have my own car. So what if I don't make very much money. What will that matter in 80 years when I'm in Heaven. Absolutely nothing.  I'm not saying this because I've "mastered" the art of hardships -- hardly.  It's just something I've been thinking about. ]

3 comments:

Andrea Speckhals said...

Good thought...I am glad to have found your blog. I love to "keep up" with friends through following their blogs! Yours is very bright and very you! I really like the font! (Not that you cared what I think, but I approve!)

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

Oh, I DO care what you think, Andrea!!! Thanks for sweet comment!

Mrs. Murdock said...

Thank you Rebecca! It is just what I was thinking about the last few days. I do so want to read the devotional...even more so now.