Thursday, June 18, 2009

Last night, while doing some laminating and cutting, I watched a movie (or two!). One was Miss Potter about Beatrix Potter. Another (said in a British accent) delightful and charming movie!

One conversation cracked me up.

I have to give the beginning part of the conversation. What I put in bold is what made me literally laugh out loud.

Amelia: You have something to confide?
How delicious.


Miss Potter: Your brother has asked me to marry
him. And I feel quite irrationally that I may say yes! (I must insert that Miss Potter and Amelia had both declared they would
never marry.)
I'd like your approval.


Amelia: My approval? Beatrix, don't be
a fool. Marry him. Tomorrow. Don't waste a moment. How
could you hesitate?


Miss Potter: You're not upset?

Amelia: Why would I be upset?

Miss Potter: Both Norman and I...you'll be
alone.


Amelia: You have a chance for happiness and
you're worrying about me. I wouldn't worry about you if....someone came
along who loved me and I loved him...I would trample my mother. Do you
love Norman?


Miss Potter: (breathless) Yes.

Amelia: Then marry him. Don't you dare
think about anyone else.


Miss Potter: But what about all the
blessings of being alone?


Amelia: (very determinedly) Hogwash. What else is a woman on her own supposed to
say.



This end part just absolutely cracked me up. I put on a very brave and strong front about how wonderful single life is. I'm learning to be content in my situation. But of course, it's "hogwash" when I meet the guy that God has for me.

Anyone else seen this movie?

1 comment:

Dear Abbi said...

My daughter loves this movie because it's about Beatrix! I thought that line was adorable, too, the first time I saw it! But I was astonished at how the movie turned out...I'm sure you know what I mean! Shocked, sad, incredulous...like "no way! THIS isn't really how it's working out, is it??!" I had no idea about the details of Beatrix's personal life. Beautiful movie, though!