Monday, June 29, 2009

garden update


The radishes are doing pretty fab. My Mom and I get a chuckle out of the "radish patch". We planted the radishes from seeds (compared to almost everything else with starters). When Mom planted the seeds, she just pushed back the dirt in a small square and scattered the seeds in the little patch. So when all the shoots came up, they were really close together. We didn't get around to thinning the radishes until they were pretty big. So we're going to have a lot of radishes this year! Have you ever tasted a homegrown radish? Delish! Very intense flavor. And very crisp.

On to the broccoli. We didn't cut it soon enough. I asked a lady down the street (who has a garden) when to cut our broccoli. She said that if you wait until it has flowers, it's too late. Ours has flowers. It's kind of a bummer, too, because it takes up so much room but there's not very much yield.

Everything else seems to be coming along splendidly. I did read on a gardening website that lettuce can be sown for a fall harvest at the beginning of July. So we plan to harvest our Romaine lettuce and sow more seeds. That will be fun!
How is everyone else's garden doing?

4 comments:

Lacey said...

Hey Rebecca! Just stopping by to say hi! It's definitely an enjoyable thing to see something grow!

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

Hi Lacey!

Thanks for stopping by! Do ya'll grow any of your vegetables?

Lacey said...

Unfortunately no. I've definitely thought about it. Mom has wanted to try tomatoes...but we just haven't gotten around to it. What's your favorite vegetable to grow? Are you enjoying your summer?

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm......favorite vegetable to grow....I don't know if I have a favorite, yet, because this is our first year with a full-fledged garden. The lettuce has been fun, though. By the end of the summer, I'll know what is the most fun to grow.

Yes, I'm having a great summer. Tomorrow night, some other single friends and I (all of us girls and in our 20's) are going to Chicago to watch fireworks. I'm excited about that. :)

Are ya'll moved in?