Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wives and Daughters

So....a while back, Abbi mentioned that she had watched several British movies while she was ill. I jotted the titles down because I'm always on the search for good movies. This week, I checked out Wives and Daughters. (It is set in the same time era of Pride&Prejudice, Emma, and Jane Eyre.)

I love that movie. It is so incredible. The main character, ummmm....I'm forgetting her name already...I think it might be Emily.... ??....is so incredibly sweet. I definitely thought it was the type of movie that a mother could sit down with her daughter and say, "Look at her. She's been wronged. She acts sweet. Look at her. She's being taken advantage of. She's being talked about. Yet she is kind." Wow! Loved, loved, loved the main character.

After watching an entire movie where all the actors have British accents, I talk British in my head. :)

It is 5 hours long, though. I definitely did not do it all in one setting.

OH! And I must say if there was one word that described this movie, it would be - DRA.MA. Wow! Like, girl drama. Wow!

It was an excellent movie. Now I'm interested in the book.

So what is the best way to get hooked on a book or movie? Watch the movie and read the book. Or. Read the book and watch the movie. For me, it typically is to watch the movie and then read the book. I've definitely never been the type of girl to read all the classics. But I'm working on it this summer.

Just wanted to drop off a recommendation if you've never seen this movie. I loved it!

4 comments:

Dear Abbi said...

I'm glad you liked W&D!

I used to be a "book first, then movie" girl. But I'm liking it the other way around now with British period romances/dramas. Currently I'm reading through Pride & Prejudice and re-watching the miniseries one episode at a time to correspond with what I've just read...and lovin' it! Glad you liked it! Now you HAVE to watch North & South...at least 3 times. :)

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

Ok! North and South is on my to-do list!

Katie said...

I love W&D!!!! Molly and Roger are some of my favorite! North and South is a must as is Cranford. Elizabeth Gaskell is a great author. I've never read any of her long books. I started N&S but it had to go back to the library and I haven't had time to try again. I did read a few of her shorter stories and they were good.

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

So, I need to put Cranford on my list, too? I have a feeling I need to start reading Elizabeth Gaskell. :)