Saturday, May 1, 2010

oh, and may I chime in on the new immigration law?

My Dad's side of the family is all immigrants.  All of his grandparents were immigrants.  Many of his great-aunts, great-uncles, cousins, etc....where immigrants in the early 1900's.  Our family history is from Russia but we're Germans.

So when all of my great-grandparents, family, and friends came to America, as they were saved, they formed a {very loosely named} "church" called the "Brotherhood."  I have explained a bit about the Brotherhood here on this blog in the past.

Last night at dinner, I asked my Dad about how the immigration law was affecting AZ because his second office is there.  He pointed out something so interesting.

In the summers during WWII, the Brotherhood would leave the windows of their church meeting place open.  There in church, they would pray {corporately!!} in German, sing in German, preach in German.  You get the point.  And who was our main enemy in WWII?  So who do you think was sitting outside of the church services listening in on what they were saying?  The S*cr*t S*rvic*, that's who.  And do you think that bothered them?  Not one bit.  My Nana would laugh; they weren't bothered one bit because they were here legally {imagine that!} plus, they weren't N*z- sympathizers.  They were so thankful to be in this great land and to be free from c*mmun*st Russia.

I quickly researched some statistics just for you.  After the 1880's immigrants were from Eastern and Southern European countries, Canada, and Latin America.  By 1910, Eastern and Southern Europeans made up 70% of our country's immigrants.  {Info quickly gathered from here.}  This is the group where our family would be included.

So without any research, I think I can safely say that a very large portion of our immigration now is from Latin America.  So what gives them the right to all of a sudden shout forth accusations of being "harrassed" and have their "rights" taken away?  What "rights" when generations of people have entered our wonderful country legally.  Just because they're from Latin America all of a sudden, we LEGAL, IMMIGRANT Americans are discriminating?  Excuse me?  I don't think my great-grandparents ever accused anyone of that.  They were so thankful to be here legally with a chance to be free from C*mmun*st Russia.

It just bothers me when all of a sudden they are screaming, marching,and protesting about their rights when they're not even here legally.  And this immigration thing is not new.  It's how our country was founded.  We are a nation of immigrants.  But I don't think that all of a sudden, we need to bow to the "rights" of people who are here illegally.

And I am so proud of my immigrant heritage!

1 comment:

Julia said...

Very interesting to learn about your family history!