Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A public declaration

I LOVE OLD PEOPLE!!

{Okay, well, most old people.}

There has been a room next to my grandma's that has been vacant, yet reserved for quite a bit. It was finally occupied by an elderly man recently.

One of the neat things about my grandma's retirement community is that outside of each room is a shadowbox installed inside the wall. Each resident can put a favorite picture and/or memento inside which further adds to the personality of the resident. Most people put up a picture of them in their younger days. Most of the men have a picture of them during the war. I love and dislike those pictures at the same time. I love to see the old black and white of them in their early days. I dislike the picture because it is a harsh reminder of old age.

One of the men who occupied the room next to Granny a while back was a fighter pilot in WWII. It was so disheartening to see him shuffling about aimlessly, his eyes empty but still kind.

So back to today. My mom was putting Granny's laundry away and I was sitting on the bed attempting to induce Granny out of her deep sleep when I heard the new resident say, "Help me. Somebody help me."  This went on for a few minutes so I went down to alert a nurse's aid. She said somewhat reluctantly that she "would take care of it." 

Another few minutes later with the pitiful cries still coming from next door, I went to the director's office {which was right next to the man's room} and mentioned that this elderly man needed help.  I also hurriedly said that I had already alerted someone.  She said, "Thank you" to my back as I quickly retreated to my grandma's room before I lost my Christian testimony.  I got teary when I sat down in my grandma's room.

I'm telling you, some people are so INSENSITIVE.  I understand that each old person in that community has their own weird idiosyncrasies.  I mean, I understand because my Granny is not always the most cooperative person.  But it is so scary when the workers in these retirement communities get so immune to the fact that people need help.

The place where my Granny lives is honestly one of the best in our area.  We were looking in our town or the town directly south of us.  We did not want to go east or west of us.  This is the best within 15 minutes.  And even in a place where they pay good money to live, there is insensitive help.  I said to my Mom, "Those workers are here to help because these people wouldn't be here unless they needed assistance." 

On the other hand, there are a few workers who are so incredible.  There is a lady who lives down the hall from my Granny and she does not have dementia or Alzheimer's but her husband does and he is not doing well at all.  It is terrible to watch him decline.  Well, we were having a hard time trying to find a nurse to let us out a few nights ago.  When my Mom finally found the head nurse {who is one of our favorites}, my Mom asked how Rose's husband was doing.  Of course, the nurse is bound by privacy laws and could not give a detailed answer.  She just shook her head and burst into tears.  It was such a heart-rending sight.  She was literally broken over his situation.  But that shows that she cares.  That is so refreshing!

Another incredible worker is the activities director named Lisa.  I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E.!!  That's all I have to say about her.

I really dislike old age.  I don't like to see people's dignity stripped away.  I could not work in a nursing home ministry through our church.  It would make me too sad.  I think it would be hard for me because of the condition of my grandma.  The verse in Psalm 71:9 where it exhorts us to, "Cast me not off in time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth" is there for a purpose.  It's easy to forget about those who have forgotten about us.

Does anyone have a family member with Alzheimer's or dementia? 

1 comment:

anspeckhals said...

I do not have a family member right now in that situation, but can relate to what you said. We just watched a documentary on the Civil War and saw a clip of Civil War Veterans parading down the street as late as the 1940's or so. It about drew me to tears! Those dear old men, now but shadows in their uniforms, walking in formation down the street. And to think they gave so much in a bloody war like that! I totally agree...love elderly people, but it makes me sad too.
-Andrea