Friday, July 30, 2010

I am sooooooo sorry!

I think it was Tuesday night LATE and I was sitting in my bedroom when I heard the loudest boom. It was so loud it shook my bed; I am not joking. Our house is just a little ways from Interstate-94. There is a horse pasture and some trees in between our house and the highway. [So, if you're ever bumping down I-94 and you're passing through Chesterton, honk and wave! :) ]

Anywhoooo, I found out the next day via our podunk paper that a semi-truck carrying cattle had crashed. The tires blew up and hence the noise.

Here is a letter to the editor from yesterday's paper:

The recent headline "Eighteen head of cattle perish in I-94 crash" is horrifying. Can you imagine the terror of the cattle trapped inside a burning truck, some probably with broken legs and unable to move. Every time I see an animal transport truck I cannot bring myself to look into the eyes of the pigs, cattle or chickens looking out at me. They are terrified, sometimes they get broken bones while being herded on and off the trucks, and then they stand for hours in the trucks. In the summer some of the die of heat exhaustion, in the winter they are freezing. And when they arrive at the slaughter house, where as many as 30,000 animals a day are slaughtered; can you imagine the horror of that scene? The animals have spent their entire lives standing in their own waste along with thousands, yes I said thousands, of others. They will never graze in a pasture nor do any of things that they are meant to do, like keep their babies. And this, all so that humans can eat them. Please think about them today.

WHEW!

That is typed exactly how it is written in the paper.

And just for the record, I do NOT saunter up to cattle or chicken or pig or horse transport trucks to peer into the eyes of the animals. They stink.

I'm off to eat my Micky D's cheeseburger this afternoon!

Have a happy Friday. I know I will...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I {kinda} drove by your house...except I was on 80, not 94, so you wouldn't have heard my honk!!! I seriously thought about stopping to see you, but we just didn't have the time. :)

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

That's a bummer but so neat that you were sort of near. My well-laid plan of coming through PA in the fall has been waylaid due to nannying. Oh well...someday!