Thursday, July 8, 2010

::REpost::19January2009::

life

So my Mom and I just got done watching the incredible movie, The Ultimate Gift.  Definitely a tear-jerker, especially because it involved a little girl with leukemia.

I don't know if this has come up much in the last year of blogging but in 2003, I started going to school to be a nurse.  My specific goal in mind was to be a pediatric oncology nurse.  I quit after a year.  It was rough, real rough.  Lots of spiritual challenges to overcome plus the fact that I'd never had A&P before and I was at square one in everything I learned.  For example, a lot of the students had already been in advanced A&P in high school and knew their bones and muscles.  On the other hand, I was clueless.  And cells?  Yikes!  Brand-spankin new for me.

I know I went through that year for a purpose.  I learned  A LOT!  Both spiritually, mentally, and socially.  I got to interact with peers who were not Christians.  I had to stand on my own two feet and stick out in a skirt (gasp!) imagine that!  And it was GOOD for me.  I also had to ummm...(low, whisper voice inserted here) study.  School + study had never = normal for me.  I don't conisder myself an A+ student but I definitely skated by in school.

All this to say that I came back to FBC and re-enrolled but switched my major to Elementary Education.  An incredible decision.  You see, my passion was (and still IS) for kids and compassion, not necessarily nursing.  Do I wish that I was a nurse?  Sometimes, overwhelmingly, YES!  Especially after watching a movie like that.

After the movie finished, I'm asking my Mom if it was smart what I did.  I've come to the conclusion that nursing is an emotion for me.  It is a feel good thing.  Nursing = compassion for me.  I have a big heart wanting to help hurting people.  And because Mom had leukemia and my Dad works at a medical school, nursing seemed the feasible option.  But I don't think that nursing is-was the path for me.  If I could be a nurse on compassion alone, I would be a good one.  But the fact is, I cannot be a nurse on compassion alone.  There are tons of other factors involved.

Simply, I'm in the place where God wants me.  I want to impact people with my life.  And what I do is definitely not glamorous; no one is signing up to fill my shoes.  Let's face the facts, do you want to still live at home when you're almost 26, no hope for a husband in sight, no hope for moving out on your own because you don't make enough money, etc....? Nope!  But that's ok.   Because this is the life God has for me. And I can impact people in it.  I get to impact 30+ kids on a given Sunday on a bus route and give them the Truth from God's Word that will stick with them for eternity.  I get to help in a Sunday school class.  I was able to give the Gospel to a girl that is in 4th grade girl's's Sunday school and is on my bus a few weeks ago.  I truly believe she understood and became a child of the King!  Praise the Lord!  I get to be the leader for the Primary Girls' class for Master's Club and impact those girls.  I get to work for some totally incredible people that I pray will someday be saved.  I do impact people  Whether or not it's in the form that I had wanted or dreamed of several years ago.

So there you have it.  I was glancing over my blog earlier tonight (pre-movie) and thinking that I needed to post something more worthwhile.  And there you have it.  I just posted my heart.  Hopefully it wasn't too rambly-like.  But to sum it up, I want to impact people.  and that is what I plan on continuing.

Post-edit:  Wow! Lots of run-on sentences.  :)

6 comments:

Jenni Hunt said...

Miss Gaus,
First off, I want to say thank you for writing from your heart. I enjoy reading your blogs, and I wanted to let you know that your life has been and is a huge encouragement to me. Sometimes it seems so much easier to quit and overlook those besetting sins or even the simple problems that enter our lives, but you have an overcoming spirit about you, and I appreciate that. Anyways, just wanted to let you know that I share that same passion that you have for kiddos!! With my mom as a nurse, I always wanted to be a pediatrician, but I beleive God has bigger and better plans for my life.
Welcome Home!!! ;)

Jessica said...

I know exactly what you mean! But, try being 10 years older and still at home! Yikes! Sometimes I get down about it, but then I think about what God has done for me: He's saved me, given me a WONDERFUL church, and great friends that I wouldn't trade for anything. He's given me a job that (though trying at times) I love. Though I'm terribly shy, I get to be around people. God is good!

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

Oh and HEY Jenni! That's my girl! Give your heart to God and you'll never be disappointed!

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

There is {almost} always a positive in every situation in life. I'm thankful for my "single" life because it has taught me that life isn't perfect and doesn't usually go as planned. It's a blessing to see you so joyful in your life, too. And I never would have classified you as shy. :) You're too friendly!!

Deena - said...

This was a GREAT read. No joke, GREAT. This was a help to me, so if I have helped you at all in the past this makes us even-stevens. Keep on keepin' on girl!

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

Awww....sweet, Deena!