Wednesday, October 21, 2009

hope this is an encouragement

Our pastor preached a sermon on Sunday night about fighting the d-vil (hereafter "d"). I remember him preaching that sermon when I was a little girl.

So if you've been reading my blog lately, you've noticed that I've mentioned struggling...really, really struggling....and overcoming, through Christ.

Saturday night, I just had a conversation with my mom about fighting the "d". I think we as Christians (that's a very general statement) don't give the "d" enough credit. We play footsie. We think, "oh, it's just a little thing." No, no, no, it's not!! Look up Ephesians 2:7, "Neither give place to the d-vil."

I had harbored a specific sin in my life for several years. It wasn't bitterness or anything that was "breeding" which would lead up to an explosion of bitterness. But it was something that I had done wrong and in refusing to publicly (besides in prayer to the Lord) admit the sin, I was giving place to the "d."

And I think the "d" left me alone for a while but he started up something in my life that was real hard. I was a complete wreck - emotionally, even physically.

I gave in to the Lord and got the sin right that I had harbored. No, the battle wasn't over yet but it was a step.

I have been contemplating writing this post for a while now. I just want to encourage all of you Christians who read my blog to really, honestly take stock of your life. If you have anything, anything that isn't right between you and God, please get it fixed!!! No matter the embarrassment, it's worth it. It's not worth it to hang on to the sin.

It's just funny, ironic that I had had this conversation with my Mom on Saturday night and then my pastor preached a sermon related to that on Sunday night. And I'm saying that some of the exact things he said in that sermon, I had said to my mom. I wanted to stand up and shout! #1 It was confirmation that what I had gone through was what I had thought - the "d" had pointed his big guns at me. #2 Other people need to hear it and be scared. Be real scared.

OF COURSE, we have the power through the Holy Spirit to conquer the "d" and not give in. Praise God!! But if we aren't filled with the Holy Spirit, we are giving place to the "d" and he will fight us.

Hope this was a blessing!

No comments: