Monday, March 8, 2010

road trip!

I **love** road trips!! After I was done working this morning, I high-tailed it to the Toll Road to head towards Amish country.  I am sorely in need of more scrapbook paper.  It seems like Michael's and Hobby Lobby have not been replenishing their stock and I feel like what they have is blah-blah-blah. Plus++, I need double-sided paper which they don't have much of.  Anyways, the nearest scrapbook store I could find was in Shipshewana.  Score!  I love going out there. 

Peeps, I found the greatest paper.  I am thrilled beyond words.  Think:  plaid, polka dots, organge, pink, teal, red, and brown...all sorts of paper!  I think I have mentioned this already but I am participating in a craft show on Saturday.  So you may not see the cards with the new paper in my store until after Saturday's show {meaning...whatever doesn't sell}. 

While I was driving this afternoon, I started to think of why I love road trips so much.  Here are some of my favorite memories.

#1...The longest road trip our family ever took on a regular basis was down to Mobile every summer.  Favorite memories include a brand-new Patch the Pirate cassette tape, typically off-limits junk/snack food, the rocket ship in AL, and the smell of paper mills.
#2....Driving to MN to visit my parents while my Mom was undergoing treatment for leukeimia a second time.  I had just finished my freshman year in college and was the sole driver for the siblings.  Good times!
#3...Driving up to MI for my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary.  My Mom was fighting a cold so my parents didn't leave until Monday morning.  However, my Dad said we {me and my bros.} could drive up providing that the temperature wasn't at freezing.  We sweated it out and it hovered around 36 degrees, give or take.  We left Sunday night after church after firmly stating that I was.not.tired. because once again, I was the designated driver.  Plus++, my Dad said I could not use cruise control {??} and I had to go the speed limit.  Memories include my brothers frequently reminding me to stay the speed limit, missing a really great exit for fast food and arriving really late at night.  {PS...wouldn't you have a hard time staying the speed limit if you couldn't speed and couldn't use cruise control?}
#4...Family vacay up to Canada, the Upper Peninsula of MI, and Mackinac Island.

So would you prefer to fly or drive?

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Awww! That brings back so many memories of really awesome road trips! At this stage in my life it's easier to fly, but I still LOVE a good road trip every once in a while... :)