Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Southern accents...

...why I love 'em.

Today, I cleaned for a new client.  She is from southern IN and has a slight Southern accent.  In fact, when I hear a Southern accent, it makes me say, "Ma'am?" or "Yes, Ma'am" or "No, Ma'am" more frequently. 

#1...I feel more polite around Southern people.

My Granny calls everyone at her retirement community darlin'.  I think that's why they love her.  As I was wheeling her past the nurses station today, she waved demurely at the nurses and said, "Hey, darlin'!"  Hilarious...you would have had to been there.  When we were younger and would visit my grandparents in AL, we would see which of my brothers got called honey by the waitresses the most.  It drove my brothers nuts of course, but we always got a laugh.

#2...Endearing words.

3 comments:

Noelle O'Brien said...

My favorite lady at the nursing hom always says, "Hi, doll!" and calls me honey. It does warm the haert. =)

Mac said...

When I was little there was an elderly southern lady who went to our church and was like a grandmother to us, she called EVERYONE "Honey" and "Darlin'" we just LOVED her to death! :)

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

Gotta love the diversity in America!