Saturday, August 22, 2009

fried chicken verdict

Tonight I made fried chicken. This is the second time that I've made it since my parents left on their trip on August FOURTH. This is the third time I've made it on my own this year.

Here's the verdict: The whole fried part was better. There was no anxiety over whether or not the chicken was done. I only used drumsticks because that just works for me and my brother. I just was a little disappointed in the batter. It "marinated" in buttermilk for two hours then all I had to do was roll it in self-rising flour. This was definitely the easiest fried chicken I've made but I want to look for a little more complicated batter next time. Just a little more flavor would be great.

This is the (slightly) confusing part. The recipe I was using was from a Southern cookbook (of course). Basically, I was supposed to fry for 30 minutes. Girls, that chicken was done in 10 minutes! I called my German grandmother to ask her opinion because the whole-crackly-oil thing was making me a little nervous. It just sounded so hot and I was afraid it was going to explode in the kitchen. (It didn't.) I fried half of the batch of chicken in my German great-grandmothers Dutch oven. I joked with my Grandma that I was "corrupting Nana's pot" because I was frying Southern food in a German pot. haha!

I also made tomato pie. I found the link yesterday on a blog that I read. It was awesome. So I'll share the link. Here it is.

And to add to our dinner, I sliced up a homegrown cucumber. We couldn't get any more Southern tonight than we did. It was awesome!

1 comment:

Heather Solos said...

I am so glad you liked the tomato pie. People around here get downright testy when it comes to defending their fried chicken recipes, which is the main reason I have not gotten around to posting mine. As my blog skin thickens I've been posting more "touchy" recipes.
I wish you the best of luck as a nanny. I was one for a short while, a million years ago. ;)