Wednesday, August 26, 2009












My parents returned from their trip on Sunday night! Woohoo! They went on their vacation with our next-door neighbors. So, Liz (girl-next-door), went with me. We each made signs to wave when we saw our parents. Their plane was early and so they were through baggage claim and customs just a little bit after we got out of church. We were a little bummed that we didn't get to greet them inside. However, we did take a moment to tape these signs to the outside of our Suburban. This was a first in Gaus-car-history....an absolute no-no. (Anyways, it was fun and the tape came off!)

This is the funny/weird part. If you know anything about cities (Chicago in particular), they have cops at the airports that direct traffic and enforce the rules. We had to go to the international terminal to pick up the parents. And we picked them up outside which was different when I picked up my parents & grandparents last summer from their trip to Germany and I met them inside.

Well, Liz's dad had said "We're by the first door." (key word - door) So I'm pulling down into the pick-up line and I'm like....which way to go...right or left?? Well, duh, I should've known that only taxi's go right and everyone else goes left. But I went right in a crucial mistake. I didn't notice, hear, or acknowledge the cop that was standing there. I was so concentrated on picking up my parents. I started honking (!!) the horn the moment we spotted them and we were waving our signs out of the sun-roof and cheering. WHAT A SIGHT TO BEHOLD!!

My dad said later that I jumped out of the car with my arms spread open and was saying very boisterously "HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!". Oh boy, my poor, dignified, and reserved father....his daughter can be a bit wild!! haha!!

My dad says to me, "You're in the taxi lane." Oh my word!! So I jumped back in the Suburban and zipped around and came into the correct lane this time.

Two funny things: First of all, was the cop. As I pulled away, I finally noticed him and he had this expression on his face like "What a stupid girl." And second of all, as I pulled away, there were probably 50-100 people all standing within 100-150 feet of my parents and all turned and stared at the crazy girl with a John Deere plate on the front of a Suburban from Indiana, probably thinking to themselves, "What a hick from Indiana!"

It's so good to have my parents home!

PS...Why does a post look so nice and neat in "preview" but horrible once published. Weird!

1 comment:

Deborah Ann said...

Wow, you are a gifted writer! I love your sense of humor.

Just wanted to invite you join my blog - in a few weeks I'm hosting a contest for all my followers, should be fun!