Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wednesday was a very long day!

Oh, boy! Wednesday was interesting.

First of all, the phone rang at 5:24am and a nurse told me that my grandma had once again fallen out of bed, bumped her head, and had abrasions on her arm, so they were taking her to the emergency room. She said that she didn't think anything was wrong but it was protocol to take them to the ER just to make sure. Well, two girls (one teen, her sister a "pre-teen") were spending the night at my house because their mom was flying out early Wednesday morning to go visit her parents. I wasn't worried about leaving them alone it was just that I didn't know how long I would be gone. Turns out, the dr. had already observed my grandma by the time I reached the ER and I only had to wait there with her for about 45 minutes before an ambulance transported her back home.

So that turned out easy + I got a jump start on my day.

I went and got breakfast for the girls, then dropped them off at the church for a teen activity. I came home, did some random stuff, scrubbed our bus up at the church, then finally got ready to leave on my "trip."

My parents have been on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks - yay for them! And my brother went to meet a girl for a few days - yay for him! So I decided that it was time for me to do something fun because I didn't have to work on Wednesday and I didn't schedule cello lessons. I have been wanting to buy material for a project (details later) and decided to drive about 1 1/2 hours away to "Amish country" plus stop at a mall on the way back (in S. Bend...for those of you who know our area).

I had to come back to the house two times because I forgot stuff. I can be so feather-brained sometimes! I went to check back on my Granny and finally got on the highway a little after 1pm. Good deal except that the place that I was going is an hour ahead. I high-tailed it there, bought my fabric, bought a really cute jacket at a boutique shop and made my way to the mall.

This mall can be seen from the highway but exits on either side of the mall are about 2 miles away. Just to make a long story very short, let me just say that I got lost. On the way home, it was raining. I had heard that we would get rain but I had no idea what was going on at home. Wow!

As I'm pulling off the toll road, I notice really low, swirling black clouds. No exaggeration! I'm thinking...that is really weird. I needed to stop at the post office for my brother and as I'm driving through town, people are starting to come out of their houses and businesses and looking up into the sky. I'm looking up into the sky and all I see are clouds but not the low, swirling, black ones. I asked some poeple by the side of the road what was going on and they told me that a tornado had just gone through. Suffice it to say, I had to turn around and go another way home because there were huge tree branches down. Power was out basically everywhere. As I was driving down the Highway (49), I noticed that the tree line looked different. It was just a weird sensation.

Of course, power was out at our house. I totally did not want to stay in a dark house by myself. But all of the area hotels were about $100 for a one night stay. Right!! Um...no! So I came home.

It was just a very long day. I didn't even snap any pictures. Bummer! Maybe if I see something interesting today, I'll get a picture and post some photos. And...more on that project later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow what a hectic day..made an interesting post though..loved it :)

Annie W.