Thursday, February 25, 2010

one thing

One thing I really wish I would have done four years ago was start a blog when my Grandma moved up here to live with us.  She has dementia and it has been a long, hard, and hilarious road.  Oftentimes, things we have experienced with her have seemed so difficult and so impossible and so isolated.  But I have discovered that while no two persons are the exact same, some of the same things we have experienced are experienced by others with a loved one who has dementia.  It would have been interesting to look back over the past four years at all the ups and downs.  So here is my Thursday.

Ever since my Granny fell and broke her hip last June, she has been struggling with a skin condition.  First it was diagnosed as scabies.  But that was incorrect {thank goodness!}.  Then, it was finally diagnosed as an allergic reaction to morphine {much more tolerable}.  The other day, my Mom and I noticed another rash on her neck and chin. 

Into the doctor we went today.  It is shingles.  Boo-hoo!  And it's contagious.  The dermatologist said that it wasn't contagious except through contact.  But my mom called her oncologist today as a preventative measure because my parents are leaving on an overseas trip on Monday {!!} and the onc. doc said it is air-borne contagious.  Oh, joy!  {Sigh.}

One reason I firmly believe that the Lord has kept me in my present state {single and living at home} is to help my Mom with my Granny.  And I'm not regretting a minute of it.

1 comment:

Mygloryallthecross said...

God works in strange (seemingly to us) ways sometimes,but in the end: "All things work together for good to them that love God." ^_^