Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"noodle soup"

Last week, my Mom was fighting a flu/cold bug.  So I made our family's "noodle soup" recipe.  This is from my Dad's, German-side of the family.  I think that my variation is a mix between my Oma's and my Mom's.  Also, I think this is the perfect kid's soup because it is cooked with vegetables but the vegetables are taken out!

Put one whole, cut-up chicken in a large stockpot and fill with water.
Add whole carrots {probably 6-7}.
Add celery {probably 4-5 stalks}.
Add seasonings: two chicken bouillon cubes, pepper, Zehnder's chicken seasoning. {Oma and/or Mom, am I forgetting anything?}

Simmer on the stove until chicken is cooked through {about 4-5 hours depending on the size of the chicken}.

Remove chicken from pot and debone {now you have meat for at least one other recipe this week!}.

Remove carrots and celery.  Discard.

Strain broth and return to pot.

Add noodles.  We traditionally use small{er}, thin noodles but I have decided that I like medium egg noodles when I make soup.  We almost always eat this soup as an appetizer for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners so for those occasions, it would be best to use the thin noodles.  But eating this soup as a main course calls for medium egg noodles; it makes it heartier.

The great thing about this soup is that it's all up to you what you put in the main pot while simmering.  I try to add as many carrots and celery as I can for the nutrients.


PS...after making this soup, I finally had my AHA moment about the difference between a whole chicken and a cut-up whole chicken.  Now, I shouldn't make the same mistake again.  :)

PS...again...that is one funny lookin' chicken!

1 comment:

Mygloryallthecross said...

Yumm...looking @ it makes my mouth water!! Hey that's funny...we just got baby chicks recently..