Monday, July 20, 2009

heart2head INTRODUCTION

I'm sure many of you have heard the phrase, "You have a head knowledge but not a heart knowledge." This is implying that a person has a school knowledge of a subject but don't really believe it.

However, in my life, I have found that sometimes I have a heart knowledge but not head knowledge. Let me explain. I know something is true because I know that it is in the Bible but I just don't quite know where.

Well, that's changing. I've been burdened to start memorizing what I believe for quite a while. Then, my brother went on a trip to Israel with a group from our church plus other graduates from our church's college. There was a family that went (it was a father plus his three grown sons) and they are all in full-time Christian service. Anyways, my brother had a great time with them and getting to know these men better. One of the things that Geoff commented on was that when they stated the reason why we (as Christians) do something, they always backed it up with a Scripture verse.

Here's an easy example that we all are familiar with: Kids are supposed to obey their parents. Why? Because it says in Ephesians 6:1, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord for this is right."

Of course that's an easy example but there are so many times when I know something that I see or hear or read in the newspaper is not Biblically correct but I cannot point to a Scripture verse. Shame on me!!

Here's is the verse that is convicting. I Peter 3:15, "...and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." The thought is continued in verse 16.

I have found that when I write (or type) a thought down, I tend to remember it better. So for the benefit of myself and (hopefully) to be a blessing to ya'll, I am going to start a series of heart2head. This will help aid me in the memorization process and be a resource for me.

No comments: