Monday, July 27, 2009

a reminder

This afternoon, I wasn't doing much of anything important except enjoying my time after work this morning, when the phone rang. It was my brother and he needed me to go with him this afternoon to take home a kid from our church's day camp.

Me: Hello?
Geoff: Hey Bek!!!! (enthusiastically) Um....could you please go with me to take this little kid home from camp. There was a mix-up. He lives in W-stvill- (my dad's Sunday bus route).
Me: Ok. (flat voice)
Geoff: It won't take that long.
Me: Ok. (flat voice)
Geoff: I really appreciate it.
Me: Ok (flat voice)
Geoff: I'll meet you in the front of the church.
Me: Ok. (flat voice)

So this is a major confessional post here. I wasn't really mad or upset (that would be dumb). I was just.....annoyed. I was having a pleasant afternoon doing whatever I wanted to do.

As I'm backing out of the driveway, a still, small voice spoke in my heart. "Remember that verse that talks about if you're single, you're purpose is to serve the Lord?"

RIGHT.

Man, I always blow it! It should have been a cheerful, pleasant...."Absolutely, Geoff!! Whatever I can do to be a blessing!"

Here's the verse: I Corinthians 7:34, "...The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit..."

The Christian life is so dimensional. There are so many facets of the Christian life to improve. How can we ever think we've arrived spiritually? So obviously, one of the things I need to work on is being more cheerfully available.

No comments: