Tuesday, July 7, 2009

indexing

So ya'll remember about a week ago (maybe two...or three??) when I mentioned that I was starting something new. (Was that what I said?) Anyways.

......Rewind.

A while back, I checked out a book from our local library entitled, C*a*reers for Bo*okwo*rms and other Li*terary Type*s. It looked interesting enough. Most of the careers in the book required degrees in Library Sciences or advanced degrees in History, etc. But there was one little interesting career that caught my eye. An indexer.

Ok. Raise your hand if you think that the index in the back of the book is done by a person (two people out of the ten that I asked said yes).

Ok. Raise your hand if you think that the indexing in the back of the book is done by a computer (everyone else, including me, answered yes).

I honestly assumed that the indexing was done by a computer. Now this is not to say that it is never done by a computer but from what I have gathered, that's not the majority.

So I sent in a check on Monday morning to an Indexing Society. (Exciting people work there, let me tell ya. I talked to them on the phone. They sounded like an indexer.) And I will be working on getting my certification to have some (much needed) credibility.

So I'm telling you all this and it may not all pan out. But I just wanted to share the exciting news. I'm praying that this will work out for me. I really, really need an additional source of income besides just cleaning houses. I'm not complaining because all of my needs are provided for. However, I do feel that I need to be a better steward of my talents and be more diligent about saving money since I am single and I don't want to be a burden on my parents. Plus, I like to read and am detail-oriented, so this seems like a fit.

I'll have to keep you posted on how things work out!

1 comment:

Dear Abbi said...

That's cool! I can't wait to hear more about it. I would have liked to work in a "bookworm" field too!