Wednesday, December 30, 2009

God's AMAZING grace!

At the end of November, our Sunday School teacher asked us to turn in a list of five things we were grateful for.  Then, he planned to read them in class the next week.

Of course, one thing that was mentioned was our salvation. 

But, the teacher pointed out something so interesting to me.  I have heard it stated this way before but it completely overwhelmed me.  In John 1:11 it says, "He came unto his own, and his own received him not."  Verse 12 goes on to say:  "But as many as received him to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name."  THEN, tonight in my Bible reading, I came across this verse in Matthew 12:21:  And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

Let me try to explain the best way that I can remember.  Jesus came to save His people {the Jews} but they "received him not."  So basically, if we're a Gentile, PRAISE GOD FOR SALVATION.  If you let that thought sink into you, you can't help but raise your hands in praise!!  I feel so overwhelmed with this thought.

What made me think about this tonight is that it is so noticeable who is a Jew.  Not only by their looks but by their family heritage.  My Dad shops for his suits, shirts, etc...at a well-known men's clothing store in our area and the owner is a Jew.  Very wealthy, I might add.  Anyways, today when my Dad went in there, he was talking to the grandson.  The grandson was telling my Dad about a conversation he had had with a co-worker about the current fight over in Israel over the land.  This guy who is unsaved but is a Jew knew that the land is the Israelis because of the promise to Moses.  Interesting!

I mentioned to my parents, "Isn't it so interesting how Jews know their family history?"  Most people in America do not know their family history.  I feel like our family {paternal side} is much more knowledgeable simply because our ancestors immigrated in the early 1900's which wasn't terribly long ago.  But to know that you're a Jew because your family history has been passed down through the centuries is absolutely incredible!!

Anyways, just wanted to share this thought with you.

Praise God for AMAZING grace!  Truly.

2 comments:

irmler said...

It really is a powerful thought. "But as many as received him to them gave he power to become the sons of God" I am glad I am part of the "them"

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

Me, too!