Saturday, November 28, 2009

I tagged these verses in my Bible after I read it the other night because I wanted to share them with you.

Psalm 66:10-12

For thou, O God, hast proved us:  thou hast tried us, as silver is tried.

Thou broughtest us into the net; thou laidst affliction upon our loins.

Thou hast caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place.
I was having a discussion with my cousin on Friday night and we were talking about trials.  So often, we as Christians, do not want to accept the trials God puts us through.  Really, how many of us are jumping up and down shouting, "Over here!  I want a trial, please!  It's about time I had something difficult come into my life.  Life has been way too easy for me these days."  Ummmm......no.  But it's through the trials that we draw closer to Him.  We were created to have fellowship with the Father. If He takes us through a fiery season and it draws us closer to Him, then what better thing could we ask for? 

And the most interesting thing I noticed about these verses is that the Psalmist is referencing God.  He noticed that God brought "us into the net" and God "caused men to ride over our heads."  I love the clear visual picture I get in that passage.  Ouch!  :)

And the passage that I quoted ends with "but thou hast brought us out into a wealthy place."  Incredible! 

On the way home from MI tonight, I was flipping through my uber-favorite book Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye? In the chapter I was reading, the author referenced the story of Ruth. 

Here are two thoughts I have highlighted:  

He works on a scale much larger than our individual lives.

and

God's quiet providence was already at hand, but Naomi couldn't perceive it.
It's an encouragement to be reminded of the bigger picture.  It is easy to get hung up on the little things that don't happen according to the plan.  But each trial is God's hand at work to perfect me beyond what I can fathom!

No comments: