Tuesday, November 24, 2009

::my words::part one::

The written and spoken word is how we communicate.  I've been thinking about my blog and my tongue lately.

While popping around on Tuesday afternoon, I saw a link to this article.  Intrigued, I clicked.  Ironically, on Monday, my mom and I were having a conversation centered around the topic of the internet and privacy and filtering {filters, really} and social networking.

First of all, the written word {ie...my blog}.

I agree with everything in the article that I linked to.

I have thought much on the topic of how much is too much?  It seems like everyone has fb!  Well, except me!  And I would *love* to connect with people from the past, especially friends from college, through that handy website.  I feel like I don't know half of what is going on in other peoples' lives because I don't keep up with them through fb.  On the other hand, so many that I have known {hs or college} have strayed from the standards and convictions that they used to hold dear...or at least I thought they did!  However, I already have a blog.  That is time-consuming.  As much as I would love to connect with people through fb, I do enough connecting through my blog.

Twitter.  Oh, twitter, how I do miss thee!  I loved having a twitter.  But how much is too much?  I already have a blog!

If we're not supposed to be entangled with the affairs of this life {II Timothy 2:4} how much is too much?  I am of the opinion that it is a personal issue, as well.  What is good for you may not be good for me and vice versa.  I don't think anyone is wrong for having a blog + fb + twitter + whatever else is out there.  I don't even think it would be wrong for me to have a fb or twitter.  But if I find myself spending enough time on my blog {and bloglines!} then why do I need to have a fb or twitter?  I think it really boils down to time spent.  I can check my email, google reader, bloglines, and whatever else and be done online within 20 minutes in the morning, give or take.  It's really a matter of self-control.

I was convicted reading the second main point in the article.  I hope that everything that is said on this blog is not self-centered and is pleasing to the Lord.  That article was such a blessing!

Here's an honest, not misleading, question.  Have you given much thought to social networking?  What are your thoughts on how much is too much?  I am so curious to know if you ever feel overwhelmed or overloaded?  Have you deleted accounts because you feel like it's too much?  How do you streamline your internet time?  I'm truly curious in an honest way on your thoughts!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Interesting thoughts... Something I've thought quite a bit about myself! I haven't read that article yet (I plan to go back and do so) but I think for me, it is most important to have a *purpose* for the social networking sites I use. If I ever find myself straying from that purpose that I've set, I either need to get rid of it, or reevaluate my use. I mainly use three things and I have a specific purpose for each - my blog is for my writing and articles and to keep people updated while I travel - FB is to keep in touch casually with my friends all over the world - and Twitter is specifically to keep in touch with people I know from church. I don't use Twitter much, and I limit my time on FB. I used to have MySpace too, but deleted it because of the ads. FB is much cleaner, otherwise I wouldn't have it. :)

I think the hardest thing is that I *do* want to stay in touch with my friends and family across the globe, but everyone has a different preference for how they want to communicate. Some people have no problem emailing, which I much prefer, but some people never email, and I have to use FB if I ever want to contact them and expect an answer. Some use exclusively twitter, so if I want to know what they are up to, I have to follow them there.

Agh...sometimes it is frustrating and I want to just turn them all off!!! :o)

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

For whatever reason, it does not seem like Rachel's comment is showing on the main page. But it's here...yay! Thanks for the response, Rachel. I really appreciate it!

Rebecca at Cotton+Wood said...

Agreed!