Wednesday, November 18, 2009

quick chicken and dumplings

Abbi asked me for this recipe when I mentioned the yummy goodness in this post.

This week was the first time that I made the recipe.  For the other 101 x's we have had it at our house, my Mom always makes it.  I did not want to mess up the goodness by making it myself.  However, it worked out real well that I was able to make it this week and I learned a little about the recipe. 

{our variations included}

4 cups water {chicken broth}
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 (10 3/4 oz) cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
1 (7.5 oz) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits {7.5 oz or larger}

*Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often.
*Separate biscuits in half, forming 2 rounds; cut each round in half.  Drop biscuit pieces, 1 at a time, into boiling mixture; stir gently.  Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

So here is what I learned:

When I put the chicken broth and soup in the pot, the liquid level seemed lower than when my Mom makes it.  So I added more water.  I think I put about 2+ cups of water in.  It did not alter the taste at all, but the broth was thinner {more like a soup} instead of thick like you would think of with dumplings.  So if/when I make this again, I would probably add more water but would definitely add another can of soup. 

{Thanks, Abbi, for doing the ice-cream cake post!  It reminded me to post this recipe!}

1 comment:

Dear Abbi said...

Mmm, I'll have to try that one sometime...sound great!